On 05-Feb-02 Joseph Kezar wrote:
> What NIC are you using.  Some ISAs need messaging before they
> work.  I know I gave up on using IRQ 10 for my NE2000 NICs and
> resorted to turning off COM1+COM2 to free up IRQ 3 and 4.
> If the card has jumpers and you can change the IO, I suggest
> changing the base IO to 0x280  I have found it to have the least
> amount
> of conflicts with other pieces of hardware.

I'm using D-Link 220ECT 10Mbit ISA NICs which are proven NE2000
compatible. At school I have them in about 15 terminals (legacy 486s
and P1s) for over a year and none of them has had a problem with
IO=0x300 or IO=0x320, nor with IRQ=10. That's why at home I am trying
to use the same brand.

The schools server (P3) on the other hand stumbled over it because of
its PCI slots. The BIOS settings reserved IRQ 10 (amongst others)
to eventually distribute it to a PCI card. Lucky me, a recent BIOS
also has options to turn any IRQ from 'PCI' back into its 'legacy'
setting. Which I did for IRQ 10. The server recognizes its ISA NIC
ever since.

Moreover, I can't miss both IRQ 3 and 4, because I need at least one
of them for a serial mouse.

Nevertheless, thank you for the tip.

Wouter