On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Cobus wrote:

> Hi!
> Has anyone started KDE as a local-App on the workstation? if so could you please
>tell me how!!!
> Cobus Hill

I chosed to use ltsp209 (RH71) to boot my ws (celeron
800MHz/RAM 129Mb) but i run **everything** locally: kdm , kde then everything.

For this i recompiled a 2.4.9 kernel without swap over nfs
but with ide support and replace by this new stuff the standard ltsp
kernel (see the ltsp_initrd package).
Then i created 2 partitions on the local ws HD: 256Mb for swap and
512Mo for tmp (i don't use the /tmp via ramdisk).
I populated the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11 with some stuff from a RH71
distro and i dynamically build a kdmrc file taking into account NIS
users and a local generic account built at boot time on each ws
 I have strongly modified the etc/rc.local script to run all this stuff
and some links in etc/ :

- formatting local swap  and /tmp at each boot
- running ypbind
- mounting /bin /sbin /lib , /usr and /home from the server via NFS
- then at the end running kdm in runlevel 5
When users connect, they get a full KDE desktop running locally.

My private class-C net is 100Mbps with 2 unswitched hubs each with 6 ws,
I guess that in some circumstancies NFS can by
slow... this system is quite new I can't tell you more, i have to check
it with all ws running simultaneously

Unfortunately, my system is not connected to the internet yet
(waiting for a fixed IP address from the net-admin at university),
so I can't send you
my rc.local script, my dhcpd.conf, lts.conf nor a tree-snapshot of my
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc dir. i'll do it as soon as possible.

this solution is clearly not in the pure spirit of ltsp but I have
powerfull workstations and a not-so-powerfull server !!
so why not using fully the ws cpu, keeping the powerfull administrative
tool from ltsp...
hope this will give you some hints

frc
--
François Mauger
Laboratoire de Physique Corpusculaire de Caen et Université de Caen