On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 08:27:51PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up autologin with a different user for each machine. Has
> anybody ever tried that ?

Yes, I have this setup at home, for my wife.

I use kdm, and suggest you do the same, since it looks good and is easy
to configure.

The file to edit is kdmrc, in Debian that is /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc but
the location will depend on your distribution.

In kdmrc you can configure every workstation differently, if you want
to.

For every workstation what should be logged in automatically, define two
sections like this (the hostname in this example is ws001).

[X-ws001:0-Core]
# Enable automatic login on this display. USE WITH EXTREME CARE!
# Default is false
AutoLoginEnable=true
# The user to log in automatically. NEVER specify root!
AutoLoginUser=inger
# The password for the user to log in automatically. This is NOT required
# unless the user is to be logged into a NIS or Kerberos domain. If you use
# it, you must "chmod 600 kdmrc" for obvious reasons.
#AutoLoginPass=secret!
# The session for the user to log in automatically. This becomes useless after
# the user's first login, as the last used session will take precedence.
AutoLoginSession=kde
# If "true", the auto-login is truly automatic, i.e., the user is logged in
# when KDM comes up. If "false", the auto-login must be initiated by crashing
# the X-server with Alt-Ctrl-BackSpace. Default is true
#AutoLogin1st=false

[X-ws001:0-Greeter]
LogoArea=Logo
PreselectUser=Default
DefaultUser=inger
NoPassEnable=true
NoPassUsers=inger,isa

I set the "LogoArea" to Logo rather than Clock to avoid unnecessary
network trafic.

Good Luck!