Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> Ken,
>         the how-to is very nice, but it misses a few points.
>         Point number one and most important: the fonts on thinknics are
> rather blurry unless run in the native Xvesa mode. Jim McQuillan was
> unbelievably gracious and provided xvesa package on the ltsp site. this
> setup follows the thinknic's way of doing things and the fonts are
> "unblurred". xvesa uses mode statements in etc/rc.local and doesn't
> understand X_MODE statements in the lts.conf, hence, it is a good idea to
> change etc/rc.local to read the X_MODE_0 statement and select the desired
> resolution 0x0117 sets 1024x768 and 0x0114 sets 800x600. it might look
> somethink like the following:
> X_MODE_0=`get_cfg X_MODE_0 1024x768`
> and then Xvesa statement gets changed to:
>    Xvesa)   XBINARY="Xvesa"
>                if [ "${X_MODE_0}" = "800x600" ]; then
>                        XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0114"
>                else
>                        XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0117"
>                fi
>             ;;
>         Point number two: turning off modem and audio in bios turns of
> modem and audio - no more playing music on the station.
>         Point number 3: turning off disk support prevents the use of the
> thinknic when the ltsp server is not available.
>         Point number 4: i have not seen any difference in behavior when
> the shared video memory was upped from 2 to 4MB.
>         Point number 5: the K12OS distribution sets a perfectly good
> network of ltsp terminals, works really well with thinknics, has xvesa
> ltsp package and needs only the change in rc.local.
>
>         my $0.02. julius
>
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Ken McCord wrote:
>
> > I've updated the HowTo I've written on using ThinkNics with LTSP 3.0.
> > You can check it out at http://www.themccords.com/~ken/ltsp/index.html

Julius,

1. The Howto includes instructions on using the Xvesa fonts on the
ThinkNic.  On a LCD screen, there is a *noticeable* difference.

2. Yup, the sound part of the Howto is still under contruction (and is
labelled as such).  Once I get that straightened out, the notes on the
BIOS settings will change.

3. Disk support?  If you're talking about in the ThinkNIC BIOS settings,
it's only got a CD-Rom and 4MB flash - no disk.  Everything runs off the
LTSP server.  If you're referring to something else, please let me know.

4. The more video memory, the higher resolution and more colors you can
use.  Now, I just stick with 16bit and 1024x768, but YMMV.  Besides, the
NIC's got 64 MB available (before taking some for video).  That's plenty
for running the Xserver.  Now, if you're gonna run apps locally...that
might be a different story.

5.  I tried the K12OS distro, and I run into the same problems I have
with Red Hat (I won't go into that, distro preferences can be a *very*
personal choice).  I have tried out Gentoo Linux, and may post install
instructions for it down the road.

Thanks for your input!

Ken