> Julius,
>
> 1. The Howto includes instructions on using the Xvesa fonts on the
> ThinkNic.  On a LCD screen, there is a *noticeable* difference.

When using those fonts is it a better or worse noticeable difference?
I have 15" LCD monitors.

> 2. Yup, the sound part of the Howto is still under contruction (and is
> labelled as such).  Once I get that straightened out, the notes on the
> BIOS settings will change.

This is something I will be needing and therefore will be very interested
once you get this part documented.  I REALLY appreciate the work you are
doing..

> 3. Disk support?  If you're talking about in the ThinkNIC BIOS settings,
> it's only got a CD-Rom and 4MB flash - no disk.  Everything runs off the
> LTSP server.  If you're referring to something else, please let me know.

I think that, since the ThinkNICs have CD roms, maybe it would be useful
if we could actually use them?  In Cyber Cafe's and even in offices,
people often like to listen to Music CDs.  Also, there are sometimes needs
to review presentations and such that come on CDs, such as those we often
receive at conferences and training seminars.  This isn't essential but
since they are there, why not make them useful.

> 4. The more video memory, the higher resolution and more colors you can
> use.  Now, I just stick with 16bit and 1024x768, but YMMV.  Besides, the
> NIC's got 64 MB available (before taking some for video).  That's plenty
> for running the Xserver.  Now, if you're gonna run apps locally...that
> might be a different story.

I find that 24-bit makes a noticeable difference in picture quality on the
ThinkNICs as compared with 16-bit color.  1024x768 also helps to unblurr
the images considerably over 800x600.

> 5.  I tried the K12OS distro, and I run into the same problems I have
> with Red Hat (I won't go into that, distro preferences can be a *very*
> personal choice).  I have tried out Gentoo Linux, and may post install
> instructions for it down the road.

I am pretty agnostic.  How would you compare K12OS over Caldera, or
Lycoris?  Red Hat is really all-purpose and I am always looking for a
desktop-specialized OS....  which makes a great deal of sense for LTSP
use.  I hope Lycoris support will be added to the next LTSP CD.

The general technical merits of a distribution are great for general
discussions but time is a very critical asset when you have real work to
do.  Messing with Debian, for example, is completely out of question for
me.  People like me often have a need for turn-key solutions as much as
possible..  and solutions that require as little babysitting as possible.

I think the users of a desktop system kinda need the same.