[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Norm,
>
> You can't start tftp like that.  It is started from xinetd.
>
> All you need to do is look at /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
> and make sure it doesn't have "disable = yes".

this is it Jim :

$ cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
# default: off
transfer \
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating
systems.
service tftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -s /tftpboot/lsp
}

and the section in /etc/dhcpd.conf is :

$ cat dhcpd.conf
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        # default gateway
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option domain-name "home.user";
        option domain-name-servers 194.168.4.100;
        option nis-domain "domain.org";
        range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.5 192.168.1.22;
        default-lease-time 21600;
        max-lease-time 43200;

        # we want the nameserver to appear at a fixed address

host ws001 {
        hardware ethernet 00:10:A7:10:D4:79;
        filename          "vmlinuz-2.4.9-ltsp-6";
        fixed-address   192.168.1.4;

        option option-128   E4:45:74:68:00:00;

        option option-129   "NIC=rtl8139";
        }

> Once you've verified that, then restart xinetd.
>
>    service xinetd restart
>
> Then, to verify that it is ok, do this:
>
>    netstat -anp | grep ":69 "

Thanks again Jim,
Problem is that I understood that was the way it should work.
and  netstat -an | grep ":69 " does say that tcp is
listening on port 69.

But I still cannot connect and although xinetd is doing it's
stuff it looks as if tftp is not actually running at any time.
How can I check that it will function?
I can launch the test tftp test client and I suppose it will do
something but how will i know for sure?
tia,
norm