norman wrote:
> $ cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
>        server_args             = -s /tftpboot/lsp
Is this a typo, or did you move it?  Jim's standard location is
/tftpboot/lts.

> $ cat dhcpd.conf
>         option domain-name-servers 194.168.4.100;
You're using a external DNS, which is fine except that it won't know
about your workstations.  You might consider running a local DNS.

>         option nis-domain "domain.org";
>         # we want the nameserver to appear at a fixed address
Does NIS need for the workstations to be listed in the DNS?

> netstat -an | grep ":69 " does say that tcp is listening
> on port 69.
> But I still cannot connect and although xinetd is doing it's
> stuff it looks as if tftp is not actually running at any time.
> How can I check that it will function?
> I can launch the test tftp test client and I suppose it will do
> something but how will i know for sure?

Norm,
after you check /etc/xinetd.d/tftp for typos, try this:

$ cd /tmp (or anywhere else not in /tftpboot)
$ tftp
tftp> connect 192.168.1.1
tftp> get vmlinuz-2.4.9-ltsp-6

You should get "Received xxxx bytes" or a useful error (file not found,
access denied, etc).

Consider added "only_from = 192.168.1.0" to /etc/xinetd.d/tftp; it will
tell xinetd to drop unauthorized connections rather than starting
tftpd.  This means that an outside hacker can't exploit a potential
security flaw in tftpd.

-David