"Jason A. Pattie" wrote:
> David Johnston wrote:
> >"Jason A. Pattie" wrote:
> >>>Cobus Hill wrote:
Cobus: I know you can also force the rpm to install to a certain
Cobus: dircectory but there are a few rpms i have encountered that does
Cobus: not allow for this to happen.
Jason: I think you can get away with relocating any RPM... Have you used
the
Jason: --root feature of rpm?  This will definitely put the RPM
package/files
Jason: and the RPM database entries in the location you want.  So for
example,
Jason: to install the latest version of Mozilla to the /opt/ltsp/i386
directory
Jason: infrastructure, on the server, you would type 'rpm --root
/opt/ltsp/i386
Jason: mozilla-1.0.0-...-i386.rpm', and viola!  Mozilla goes where you
want it
Jason: to.  No need for mounting /opt/ltsp/i386 read/write or to
installing RPM
Jason: into the thin client filesystem, etc.

David: does the --root option relocate both the application and the rpm
David: database?

Jason wrote back:
> It doesn't 'relocate' in the sense that RPM gives to that word.  It
> actually does a chroot to the directory that you specify as --root and
> does all installation steps and RPM database changes from that directory
> as 'root'.
> You get a "complete" RPM'lized system on the thin-client...  This may not
> be what people want, but if this is all coming over read-only NFS mount
> points, I see this as a very nice feature.  This way, you can just build
> a minimal RPM system for the thin-clients but still retain the read-only
> nature of the filesystem.  You could install any application this way.
>  KDE/GNOME/any window manager RPM, etc.

I think you've given me a new favorite toy.
This could really simply management; I had no idea rpm would do this.

Jason, if you're ever in Charlotte, drinks are on me.

-David