Dave Shiels wrote:

> Charles Bowman wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am LTSP neubie (but run Debian (Libranet) on my home computer, and
> > have yet to connect another computer to my home 'server').
> >
> > It's my understanding of the LTSP documentation that thin clients are in
> > the same building, and connected to the server by wires. I am wondering
> > if LTSP could be used to connect geographically dispersed thin clients
> > to a server. Most of the thin clients are within 10 miles of the
> > intended server, but a few are 60 miles away.
> >
> > If LTSP is not appropriate, is there another way to solve the problem?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Charles Bowman

> > For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.openprojects.net
> >

> Really location has nothing to do with it. It is a bandwidth issue and a
> security issue if using the internet.
>
> Some questions
> DO you just have dialup? Broadband?
> Are they grouped in a single location 10 miles away?
> What kind of applications do need access to?
>
> --
> Crayne's law: All computers wait at the same speed.

Dave,

Each thin client would be in a separate building.  The server would be
in yet another building. All thin clients would be miles apart from each
other and the server. It's not clear how many users will be on the
system simultaneously, but the potential number of thin client sites is
large: a maximum of 480. My approach would be to connect one thin client
to the server, and determine what problems there are with this minimal
set up. In this case, a dial up connection would be appropriate.

Users of thin clients would see information (or web pages) stored in the
database on the server (running Microsoft software), interact with these
web pages (ordering stuff), and use the server to connect to the
internet (with restrictions).

FWIW: I am a  member of a committee (entirely Microsoft-centric, except
for me) that is considering this problem. I wish to present to the
committee a possible solution using Linux, as Microsoft licensing fees
are expensive. We expect to have a meeting in 2 weeks.  We are all
volunteers for a non-profit organization.

Thanks again.

Charles Bowman