Charles Bowman wrote:

> Dave Shiels wrote:
> >
> > Charles Bowman wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am LTSP neubie (but run Debian (Libranet) on my home computer, and
> > > have yet to connect another computer to my home 'server').
> > >
> > > It's my understanding of the LTSP documentation that thin clients are in
> > > the same building, and connected to the server by wires. I am wondering
> > > if LTSP could be used to connect geographically dispersed thin clients
> > > to a server. Most of the thin clients are within 10 miles of the
> > > intended server, but a few are 60 miles away.
> > >
> > > If LTSP is not appropriate, is there another way to solve the problem?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Charles Bowman

> > > For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.openprojects.net
> > >

> > Really location has nothing to do with it. It is a bandwidth issue and a
> > security issue if using the internet.
> >
> > Some questions
> > DO you just have dialup? Broadband?
> > Are they grouped in a single location 10 miles away?
> > What kind of applications do need access to?
> >
> > --
> > Crayne's law: All computers wait at the same speed.
>
> Dave,
>
> Each thin client would be in a separate building.  The server would be
> in yet another building. All thin clients would be miles apart from each
> other and the server. It's not clear how many users will be on the
> system simultaneously, but the potential number of thin client sites is
> large: a maximum of 480. My approach would be to connect one thin client
> to the server, and determine what problems there are with this minimal
> set up. In this case, a dial up connection would be appropriate.
>
> Users of thin clients would see information (or web pages) stored in the
> database on the server (running Microsoft software), interact with these
> web pages (ordering stuff), and use the server to connect to the
> internet (with restrictions).
>
> FWIW: I am a  member of a committee (entirely Microsoft-centric, except
> for me) that is considering this problem. I wish to present to the
> committee a possible solution using Linux, as Microsoft licensing fees
> are expensive. We expect to have a meeting in 2 weeks.  We are all
> volunteers for a non-profit organization.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Charles Bowman

The issue is not physical distance but "internet distance" and the
maximum data rate you can connect with.

I am in the middle of a similar application but the terminals will be
clustered in various locations. Each loaction will have one "slightly
smarter" system that will be used to load and run the terminals.

Just a thought but what about NIC's they have a linux on the CD and are
cheap and standalone. They could be customzed if you wanted to limit the
users access by creating a custome boot CD.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974