Sitat David South Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 10:45, Ragnar Wisløff wrote:
> > Not directly, but if AutoCad LT can run as a Terminal Server
> application,
> > you could run an RDP client like rdesktop from the clients and
> > access AutoCad from there. Needs a W2k or NT 4 Terimnal Server
> Edition
> > for the server end, though.
>
> I don't have a single W2k or NT server running in our office. I
> use
> Linux for all back-end work, file-sharing, printing, etc.

That's nice!

> I have absolutely no experience with Windows based terminal
> servers.
> I've always thought they were too expensive to worry about. Am I
> mistaken?

I have next to no experience myself setting these things up. But w2k Server has the
Terminal Server functionality built in. How
expensive it is i don't know, but MS will tell you on their webpages i think.

But it works like a charm in the places i have installed ltsp and they have a setup
for terminal servers already. It's a strange thi8ng to
see MS apps on a KDE desktop ;-)

> How reasonable is it to buy a Win2K terminal server and push the
> information to LTSP terminals? There are times when accessing a
> Windows
> machine will be handy, but for the most part it would serve AutoCAD
> LT
> for two or three people.

It sounds like overkill, I agree.

> When it comes to software on my workstations, I believe the
> basics
> (office suite, email, web) should be free and open-source. But when
> it
> comes to specialty software like CAD, I'm will to pay real money
> for
> solutions. If someone knows of a good *nix solution CAD system,
> I'm
> interested, even if it costs several thousands of dollars. Isn't
> that
> still cheaper than buying a Windows server and paying the
> licensing
> fees?

There are some for unix, but nothing for linux afaik.
you could run irix and sgi h/w and have some nice things,
but it wouldn't be cheap.

--
Mvh Ragnar Wisløff