I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I have no way of knowing if this will fit
your needs, but as a curious hobbyist I ran across this web site a bit ago
and am very interested in playing with this software myself.

http://www.varicad.com/

VariCAD *looks* polished and complete.  It has a native Linux version
(Mandrake, Debian, SuSE, and RedHat) and supports both 2D and 3D drawings.
It also imports and exports DWB, DWG, DXF and IGES files.  The price tag is
extremely reasonable, IMHO, with a standard version at $400 and and
educational-use version at $100 USD.

If you try it out, please, please, please let me know how it treats you.  I
don't have the technical expertise to formulate an educated opinion of it
and would be extremely interested in commentary from one who does.

Thanks,
--Kyle