On Tue, 21 May 2002 16:37:56 -0400 (EDT), "Jim Wildman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Several reasons come to mind all based around the need for segregation
> of traffic.
> 1) DHCP. If I'm already running dhcp in the wider network, placing my
> terminals on a separate network allows me to do the pxe/netboot stuff
> without changing my 'public' dhcsp.

    I went just the other way in my dabblings at Lee Lumber; DHCP for everyone came
from using it for DHCP.

> 2) Security (Phase 1).  I don't want others to see my terminal traffic

    This sounds good, and there are some places where it's mandatory, but where I was
working, I had to keep telling people how to drag-n-drop, so it wasn't an issue.

> 3) Security (Phase 2).  NFS is not secure.  I don't want my nfs shares
> out where folks other than the terminals can see them.

    Again, in my experience (which is pretty casual and without serious threats) those
folks thing NFS is some kinda Feminine Deodorant Spray.  :)

> 4) Security (Phase 3).  I want to control the access of the terminals.
> Having them gateway through the server gives me a single control &
> monitoring point.  (ie, SquidGuard)

    Yeah, I like the idea; enough to make me decide to make my future applications of
LTSP that way.  It's like Beowolf, with a lot of nodes connecting to a 'maestro'.  It
also means quieter traffic for the terminals, improving their action.  And keeping
your NFS close to the vest is just a good idea.

    Thanks for making the case; this is better this way, and well worth the seperate
wiring, even if it costs more.

Brian Fahrländer              Linux Zealot, Conservative, and Technomad
ICQ  5119262
AOL: WheelDweller
Yahoo: WheelDweller           Me: http://www.kamakiriad.com/aboutme.html