"Katsonis, Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said the following on the auspicious
date of 2002-05-30:

>       He he!  Kernel and X wont run on 8086 architecture!  The kernel and X
>are 32 bit, so an 'XT' system just wont do it.   There is an option
>though, you may be able to use it as a character based terminal by
>hooking it to the server using a serial port.  I'm going to give this a
>try, as there is an XT I have that I've been meaning to use as a text
>based terminal.  I suggest trolling through the Linux howto's.  You will
>find some info on using the serial port as a terminal.

Actually, there is no reason an 8086 couldn't run a TCP/IP stack and a X server, just
not the Linux kernel and XFree86. There may even be some old and forgotten software
out there for 8086 PC's that provide some or all of this functionality.

>> Dear friends,
>>
>> * How to convert 8086 architecture machine as LTSP WORKSTATION.
>>
>> * Need any extra steps ..or LTSP documentation is enough to convert.....
>>
>> * I didn't try yet...but i want to know whether it's possible or not...
>>
>> * Thanx in advance..
>>
>> Regards,
>> sherfu

MS Windows -- An entomologist's dream

Jeff Jackowski      http://ro.com/~jeffj/
"Luncheon meats make the sawdust in your stomach
 explode."          -- Crow T. Robot