On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 14:31, Ken Barber wrote:
> While it's very believable that Micro$oft would do such a thing (below), I
> have my doubts that the headmaster is accurately reporting Ed Qld.'s contract
> with them.
>
> Though I'm not an expert, I have a little bit of experience with Micro$oft's
> Campus Agreement.  The agreements being made in the Windows NT days did not
> contain any language excluding non-Windows operating environments.
>
> >From a quick read of the pertinent documents that are available to me on the
> Web, it appears to me that Ed Qld. standardized on Windows NT as an operating
> environment several years ago (as I did for the systems I administered) and
> wanted to ensure that any computer purchases made are compatible with that
> platform (as I also did).  You might recall that there were many products
> which weren't NT compatible 'way back then.
>
> Given NT's age, I would suggest that Ed Qld. might just possibly be looking
> for ways to migrate to something newer.  This might be an excellent time to
> contact the Central Office, as your headmaster suggested, and inquire into
> the exact nature of their Campus Agreement.  They might be especially
> receptive right now to an offer to set up an LTSP demo, or perhaps even a
> pilot, for their inspection.
>
> Ken Barber

Thanks for the reply Ken,

I hope you are right, although I suspect that the campus agreements will
turn out to be different from the primary and high school agreement. I
also hope the "Devil" has not got his hands onto the Private schools. I
will be contacting Ed Qld tomorrow. I will report back as soon as I
receive a response from them.
Micro$oft tend to use Australia as a bit of a test ground to see if we
squeal. I believe they are trying the "rent the software" campaign here
at the moment.