Hi John,

I was meaning to psot a similar problem but never got around to it. I
use a TNT2 PCI graphics card with 32MB of video RAM and a RTL8139
(Dlink 530TX+) card to convert all my old machines into standardized
diskless clients and usually that makes it a snap to get the machine
working.

On one 486dx2 with 32MB ram I noticed that KDE would start and I could
run any application except konqueror which would hang the client. BTW,
I do not use local apps. The problem went away when I forced the card
into 256 color (8 bit) mode. Had me puzzled. Maybe there is some
problem for 486 machines to detect video ram (or address it)? I think
this might be the case because a web browser might want to reserve a
color palette and hangs the X server. It might be something similar in
your case though - try 256 color mode.

Anyone with other ideas?

---Venkat.