Hi

Make a boot with your client and then read the file dhcpd.leases in /var/....???
on the server with the dhcpd-service. The last entry are the last boot with the
MAC address of your client. Then can make the entry in the /etc/dhcpd.conf of the
server with your required IP address ...

Bye
Karl

Hal Vaughan wrote:

> I've been searching the net for something like LTSP.
>
> I am working for a company that will, within the year or two have a number of
> Linux boxes throughout the state, and will likely soon be adding more in
> other states.  Due to the number of systems and the fact that this is a small
> company, there will be no CD-ROMs or floppies in these boxes.  As it is now,
> I can open each box, hook up a CD-ROM, install Linux (Mandrake 8.2 as it
> stands now), then remove the CD-ROM, close the box, and move on to the next
> box.  As you can see, LTSP will be a HUGE help to me.  I won't have to open
> the box -- I can setup one system, copy the files to my server hard drive,
> have the new systems (with unformatted hard drives) net boot with LTSP, and
> have a script automatically copy them to any new machine I plug into the LAN.
>
> I have only one problem:  I'm working with all-in-one motherboards, and it
> seems unlikely I'll have the MAC address for the ethernet adapter (it's built
> into the motherboard).  Our current network uses fixed IPs, so at this time
> the only computers using DHCP or BOOTP would be systems for a new install
> (although that might change later).   Can I still get a machine to netboot if
> I don't know it's IP address?  Or is there a way to read it from the server?
> I figure if the server can detect the MAC addresses, I can do quite a bit
> from there.
>
> Thanks for any help or information.
>
> Hal

27.07. - A LUGBZ event: Linux Installation Party
         Infos: http://www.lugbz.org
     .-.
     /v\    L   I   N   U   X
    // \\  >Phear the Penguin<