Am Sonntag, 30. Juni 2002 08:11 schrieb Hal Vaughan:
Hi Hal,

> I've been searching the net for something like LTSP.
glad you found it. No need to search any further ...

> Can I still get a machine to
> netboot if I don't know it's IP address?  Or is there a way to read it from
> the server? I figure if the server can detect the MAC addresses, I can do
> quite a bit from there.

The MAC address might be labeled on the mainbord or even on the case. If not
you have to get each beast (partially) up and running. If you get a minimal
linux up (maybe via a rescue cd) you can read out the mac address (e.g
ifconfig eth0). You can also boot with a etherboot floppy which shows your
mac while (and before) trying to do DHCP. Check the BIOS also, but i think
there is no MAC info available.
In a LAN subnet these dhcp efforts are also written to the DHCPD-logfile on
the server, you could parse. No need to have a IP. The IP is given to the
client as an answer to a successfull DHCP request?
But I would (via etherboot floopy, or pxe first) just go for real thin client
technology: LTSP.

HTH

Kai