Mandar, Stephen, and others battling with or considering
dual DHCP servers,

While configuring the LTSP DHCP server to only hand out
addresses to particular MAC addresses will save the Windows
machines from trouble, this solution requires that his
existing Windows DHCP server also hand out fixed IP
addresses (to prevent the diskless clients from
occasionally getting a response from the Windows DHCP
server first).  If the administrator is resistant to change
and is handing out dynamic IP addresses, then this does not
solve the entire problem.

It's not just a problem of having the diskless clients
getting a response from the Windows DHCP server during the
initial Etherboot DHCP query, either.  There's also the
dhclient query when the kernel boots!

FYI, depending on how the DHCP client is configured, it can
wait a pre-determined amount of time and then choose from
multiple DHCP responses.  The default behavior of
immediately responding to the first offer is what leads to
seemingly random behavior (sometimes one server answers
first, sometimes the other).

I believe there were some relevant posts a short while back
on the ltsp-developer mailing list.  I think it was Ken Yap
talking about how you could place a special string in your
dhcpd.conf file to allow it to identify itself to Etherboot
clients as their preferred server.  There was also a way to
instruct the Etherboot clients to look for that string.

Here's the link to the message and the relevant quote:
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=683572&forum_id=2542>

"For people who have to coexist on a network already
running a DHCP server, Etherboot has the
REQUIRE_VCI_ETHERBOOT option which works well for selecting
only the Linux DHCP server for the reply.  Unfortunately
dhclient in LTSP will get its info from any DHCP server.
 dhclient.conf is apparently flexible enough to implement
the same filtering scheme as Etherboot. I'll work on some
changes to root/linuxrc to implement this scheme. It will
be triggered by the existence of a kernel parameter of
DHCP_VCI=Etherboot-5.0 (in option-129) so it will still
work in the normal case."

A follow-up message includes that patch to the root/linuxrc
and a config example.
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=690001&forum_id=2542>

According to Ken, the patch would've required a more recent
version of dhclient, however.  Just an hour later, Ken
posted an alternative solution, which would work with
existing versions of dhclient:
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=690149&forum_id=2542>

"Here's a lower tech approach which can be deployed right
away. If DHCP_REJECT is defined in option 129 as the IP
address of a server to ignore, then dhclient will not
accept replies from it. So you would set it to the IP
address of the rival DHCP server. This works with the
dhclient in current LTSP initrds."

I don't know if either linuxrc patch made it into the LTSP
3.0.4 kernel to support this, though.  Perhaps Jim can
bring us up to date on this.

In any case, it seems that it is absolutely possible to
have LTSP w/ DHCPD coexist with another DHCPD on the same
network.  Whether the ability to do that is pre-built into
the new LTSP kernel is another question.

Jason

> From: "Stephen Berry"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] 2 DHCP Servers on same
segment
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:31:17 +0100
>
> It is possible to have 2 DHCP servers on one segment.
That is what we are
> doing here. Our Win2k server hands out fixed DHCP
addresses which means that
> each client will always have the same IP address. Any
unused IPs are locked
> out so that they cannot be used. The LTSP server also
dishes out IPs to our