On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, John Holbrook wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:10:42 +0200
> Mike Arends <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > try rdesktop on any Linux distribution.
> >
> > Works great and is for free of course...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> But its not free!!
>
> If you're running Windows 2000 Terminal Server you need to
> purchase both a Windows 2000 CAL plus a Windows 2000 Terminal
> Server CAL for each connection to your WTS.
>
> Yes, its true that your client may be free but its still pretty
> expensive.

This is one of the biggest reasons why Thin Clients have not taken off in
the windows world. People are thinking, "Well if I have to pay for a full
copy of Windows at each desktop, why don't I just install a copy of
Windows at each desktop. Then throw in the fact that some Thin clients are
close to the same price as the cheapest PC's.

Obviously there are many other reasons to use Thin Clients.

Microsoft will always make anything that is not a 'one to one' Windows OS
to desktop ratio cost prohibitive. Even if the solution is based on
Windows.

Michael