On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 16:55, Charlie Brown wrote:
> Many thanks to all who replied. I found the problem:
> I had removed the /tmp dir and then recreated it without the necessary chmod
> 777.
> Consequently cannaserver(don't know what that is) failed to start
> because it could not write to /tmp Then xfs failed because canna failed.
> Unplugging the monitor was coincidental.

Canna is an input server for Japanese, which has more letters than there
are keys on a US keyboard.  If you aren't supporting Japanese speakers,
you can uninstall it.

I don't think Canna was your problem.  The local X server uses the font
server, which puts a socket file in /tmp/.font-unix/.

If you comment out the line "0=/usr/bin/X11/X" in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf,
your server will stop running X locally (what you probably want if you
don't have a monitor on the server).

-David