Olav,
  I don't remember from your first posts, is the server locking up or actually
crashing in a kernel panic?

  I have used top running once a minute from cron to help tracking down intermittent
crashes in the past. A line like:
* * * * *   root    /usr/bin/top -bin 1 >> /var/log/top_log
in root's crontab will log the system state (memory, load, running processes) once a
minute. May help you determine what is happening right before the system crashes.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.