alvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Cool, now that you mention it, when I started my ltsp project, intended to still use a few recycled hard drives from the old machines and actually got frustrated because of my poor ability to actually install a small linux kernel/initrd with lilo and eb to a small partition on the hard drive.

I ended up retiring the hard disks and using an all EPROM approach, but still have that little devil in my head insiting that I get those hard disks to boot to lts.

Could you make a well needed documentation specifficly on the process of you clients software setup? I think it has a great potential to help many porojects beyond ltsp since my google searches for days came up totally senseless, specially with the comparison to this simple steps in DOS:

a: fdisk; format c:; sys c:; edit autoexec.bat; eb8139.com

 8/

I just finished setting up an installation to do this.

I used IDE flash disks and placed the kernel/initrd on the disk and boot
from there. The whole process is still quite rough and need some work
yet but what I did was take the code for the pcmcia wireless stuff and
started hacking at it with a very blunt axe.

We are using link encription and MAC address filtering on the wireless
connections. The wireless link is also isolated from the network as a
whole so that if the link is cracked then they still have to get past
the servers firewalling. This should stop all but the most serious
hackers like the NSA,CIA,KGB.... and if those boys are after us we are
just so screwed ;)

As a side note booting X over a wireless link takes a couple of minutes.
It is not nearly as fast as a hard wired link even with the wireless
link running at 11Mbits.

--
Alvin Starr || voice: (416)785-4051
Interlink Connectivity || fax: (416)785-3668