On Wednesday 22 January 2003 18:36, Jake Schroeder wrote:
> Etherboot is a network bootloader that can be loaded into NIC bootroms,
> floppy bootsectors, LILO images, etc.
>
> PXE is a set of standard protocols.  A PXE-compliant network bootloader
> is preloaded on a lot of new NIC bootroms.  Other PXE-compliant
> software (such as NILO, www.nilo.org) can be installed on NIC bootroms,
> floppy bootsectors, etc. as well.
>
> There are other protocols too, such as Novell's RPL.  That one operates
> over IPX, and isn't seen very much anymore.  Etherboot might also be
> obsolete someday because PXE is simpler to use and is becoming cheaper.

PXE is only simpler and cheaper because it comes included with a bunch of
network cards.  It is not simpler than Etherboot in operation.  PXE adds some
extra complexity.  My biggest gripe with PXE is that the implementation on
network cards tends to be buggy, and/or full of arbitrary limitations.  (like
size limits on the network image that prevent it loading a Linux kernel --
even a 2.0 kernel)

> Comparing Etherboot to PXE is a bit confusing because PXE isn't
> software; it's just a set of protocols.  You can compare Etherboot to
> something like the Intel LANdesk Boot Agent (a PXE-compliant
> bootloader).

> - Jake
>
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:13:02AM -0800, mullangi vamsidhar wrote:
> > Hi
> > May be Iam wrong,
> >  Upto my knowledge if we enable PXE it will  Load
> > kernel by reading the ROM image in BIOS only, if it is
> > etherboot it will read ROM image from a floppy or any
> > ROM chip on your card, ofcourse both will load kernel
> > from ethernet network. I put the ROM image in my BIOS
> > and enable PXE in its settings, so there is no need
> > for me to use floppy or ROM chip in my N/W card.
> > Thanks
> > Vamsi
>
> --

Berend De Schouwer