Jim McQuillan, we found the cause to the problem of the disappearing X
application. The cause is when a user clicks on a document via Konqueror,
where we use it as a file manager, which launches the associated
applications (e.g. OpenOffice, XPDF, etc.) that Konqueror appears to fork
that associated application as a child process rather than a complete
separate fully bonafided process.

When a user closes Konqueror, Konqueror or the Linux  kernel would kill
all of its child processes which includes those associated applications
which were launched when the user clicks on a document and thus the
disappearing application.

We tried this on a stand alone Linux workstation running RedHat 9 and the
same behavior occurred. The LTSP server is running RedHat 8. I wondered if
Konqueror forks a child process as opposed to a separate process by
design or is a bug. Here is the proceedure to reproduce this problem.

Login to ICEWM desktop.
>From the menu, run "konqueror"
Launch an OpenOffice or XPDF document (which launches the application)
Close Konqueror
Wait 2 to 3 minutes
The Application will close

If you don't have a document, create a blank document and then try
launching it from Konqueror.

Does this problem occurred with Nautilus and Galeon as well? It would be
like if the community can tackle this problem. A user should not have to
worry that closing an application would affect a totally separate and
different application.