On Wed, 08 Oct 2003, David Fuller wrote:

> We have about 75 to 80 stations working off one main LTSP server.
>
> The server specs are :
>
> Dual 2.8GHz Xeon Hyper-Threaded
> 2 Gigs of RAM

Disk ?

> Have you every come across this one before or should we try another
> aproach as far as Display Managers are concerned?

I deploy xfce.

> Also too, we were wondering if there is a way to load balance two or more
> servers with a load balancing server in front of the LTSP servers?... Or
> do you know of any other methods to achieve load balancing across several
> servers with a fail safe that in the event one goes down the others take
> over the requests of the workstations that were on that server on the fly.

I use gdm on the servers, and I change the client rc.local startup script
to ping one and then the other listed XDM server, find one that is up,
and do "X - indirect" to it. Look at the server load, pick the smallest.

It does not do what you are asking for.

In particular, it does not Do on-the-fly failover.

If you have Server1 and Server2, and Server1 is picked as the XDM server,
and you logged in to Server1, you will not notice if Server2 went down.

If you logged in to Server2, and Server2 went down, you would be thrown
back to the chooser screen.

If Server1 went down, and you were logged in to Server2, you would not notice.

If Server1 went down, and you were logged in to Server1, you must reboot
the client, where you will see Server2 only.

Cheers,   Andy!