[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

An annual fee of $379 per machine to run Linux ???

Try Gentoo Linux (http://www.gentoo.org). It comes at the cost of
downloading two ISOs and roasting them onto a CD-R. After that you
install and upgrade packages whenever you feel like it over the
Internet.

Mind you, the install is done at the command line prompt. Gentoo
doesn't come with a fancy graphical installer, but it works like a
chime for me.

After making the previous post I did many people probably won't give this one much credibility... but I totally agree with this post for gentoo linux. It's PHENOMINALY stable and customizable.... but if you have many (more than 10 or so) server to set up at any one time I'd probably steer towards a different distro as well. I'm using Gentoo on my desktop right now and the great thing about it is that I can do all my updates from the command line... much like redhat update, I don't have to pay for them... AND I can customize the compilation of the program however I want all from the command line... lets see you do that from a redhat up2date agent . Seriously though, my company just switched COMPLETELY from microsoft to linux and we've gone through just about every distro and we've had to weigh the options very heavily. We're running Lotus Domino on our RH server right now and it doesn't perform nearly as well as our slackware boxes. Neither are running a graphical interface and both only have running what they need... just something about it. Anyhow, I hope somebody finds some help from all this. Brandon