Hello Anthony,

 at first this project startet because I just was interested if it is
possible to get mythTV working on ltsp.

Am Montag, 21. Juni 2004 01:04 schrieb Anthony Whitehead:

> On Sunday 20 June 2004 01:59, Michael Messner wrote:
> > Hello lts- developers and users,
> >  at first excuse my bad english!!
> >  I'm working on a ltsp-project, I'll try to get mythTV
> > (www.mythtv.org) to work on ltsp (www.ltsp.org) as a local
> > app.[1]..[2]
> > I'll try it as a local app because so you have the possibility to
> > connect more multimedia terminals to one server, otherwise I don't
> > think there is any (home) server who is able to reach the power to
> > handle more (multimedia-) terminals which are powerfull enough!
> > Now, most plugins are allmost working with ltsp 4.0 and I'm thinking
> > to make an official release in the next few months, but is there any
> > system(-profile) to handel local apps with the ltsp - project?
>
> Ok, I just have to ask. Why use LTSP for this purpose?

Because I like it, it's very easy to get working thin clients with ltsp.
You can handle everything from one server and you have only one database
(mysql) and one backend (mythTV) running on this server!
So just the frontend is running on the client and normally the client must
not run, and you can record programs (This I have not tried it because
I've no TV-cards and also I have not finished the server know).

> There are
> several very good thin network booting solutions designed for MythTV.
> I've used a couple of them but I think the one closest to what it
> sounds like you are after is MiniMyth (http://www.linpvr.org). Non-via
> hardware can be used by simply replacing the boot kernel and the
> X-Server.

minimyth is a very nice distribution, but the developer is not interested
to activate alle official plugins. This is also  not really the problem,
so see it as an alternative if you are working with ltsp you don't need
other clients

> Another option is KnoppMyth if you don't want network booting for the
> frontend media terminals (http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html).
>
> Do remember that you'll need client PC's of at least 1GHz to decode
> high quality DivX or Mpeg2 video,

I know, if you like to play it you need such a powerful PC.

> nice VIA C3 systems without a CD or
> HDD are ideal for this.

Yea, they are very nice systems but I have none.

cu m1ke

--
ueberm Rechner Poster von dem Steve Ballmer haengt
Auf der Platte ist ein office und der sichere IE