Joe,
  I would use  the user's .xsession file.

   For group a I would still start X but not start a window manager, just
Xterm run from a script that restarts it should they close it. They
will automatically be in a terminal window on the server.

   For group b, start a full desktop.

   If you make each user's .xsession file a link to a central file owned
by root, the user will not be able to change it.

Pete Billson
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.