On Tuesday 09 August 2005 11:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Joe Auerbach wrote:
> > Here's an issue worth mentioning.  I brought this up a while ago, but
> > I don't know if I was clear.
> >
> > I've got 2 categories of people running off the same ltsp machine
> > here.  One group (we'll call them a) are doing text based grunt work
> > on a server in hte office.  The other (broup b) will need actual
> > desktop access as well as the text based interface.
> >
> > I can easily set the other group up and I have them set up now
> > (screen_01 is a telnet screen and screen_02 is startx).  However, my
> > trouble is setting up the first group alongside them.
> > Is there a way I can set screens by group or mac address?  Mac address
> > 1 gets screen_01 telnet and no screen_02 startx?
> >

> > My other option would be to just shut down x for them.  for example,
> > default them in their bash_profile or somehting similar to close x.
> > So they both get the startx screen, but when group A logs into the
> > startx screen it drops down to a shell anyway.
> > Thoughts?
>
> I just realized that I'm not sure I even have a solution for the group b
> people.  Check this out.  groub b logs in.  they get a desktop.  they
> ctrl-alt-f1 and get a shell.  Fine.  Now they have to ssh to the
> server.  Or they get a telnet and they still have to ssh to the server.
>
> Is there a way to set up the telnet based login to have one command run
> (the ssh) while the desktop has the normal gnome login?

Joe
this seemed like a good a good idea to us, but was a diaster.
Now everybody gets an X login
The telnet-folk get an xterm without a window manager
The desktop-folk get a desktop.

It's now trivial to autologin, swap desktops and terminal sessions, do screen
savers. The entire admin is miles easier this way.

James