The kernel IDE driver still loads even if you're PXE booting.  The
driver will either be compiled into the kernel or it will be loaded as a
loadable kernel module.  Jim's approach was sound with regard to putting
the kernel driver in because if there's no drive, it'll ignore it.  If
there's a drive, it will load the module for it and at least have the
device entry available in case you want to do local media.  This covers
both those who want to use local media and those who don't.

If you have a mechanical failure on the drive, you can either disable it
in your system BIOS, in which case the system will look like it has no
hard drive, or you can physically disconnect power to the drive or even
remove it.  I'd suggest removing drives with mechanical failures since
that click may actually continue to occur even if the drive is disabled
in the BIOS.  I suppose an alternative approach would be to disable the
IDE controller in the BIOS, in which case I don't think it will continue
to probe for the drive.

The interesting thing about platter and head failures is the drive
electronics still notify the host controller that the drive exists even
when it can't determine the geometry for the drive.  That's why you
continue to get that clicking noise (the attempted head probe) even when
the drive is dead.

Dave Fenwick