On Friday 19 January 2007 04:21, Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> I have a 2 year old laptop with a broken (click of death) HDD.
> I figured, since LTSP doesn't use the local HDD, that this would make
> the perfect LTSP Client.
>
> I thought that the clicking would stop after PXE started but the
> clicking continues.
> I get a few "Buffer I/O error on drive hda, logicak block 0" with the
> number increasing.
> This is prior to X starting up.
>
> The clicking continues the whole time the pc is on.
> I suspect that this is because the LTSP client tries continuously to
> access the drive.
> Is there anyway to tell the LTSP client to not try accessing local ATA
> drives?

I think that is probably the HD trying to seek to track 0 in order to boot. It
has nothing to do with LTSP at all, so you can't control it from there.

> I tried to see if there was a way to turn off the drive in the BIOS,
> but there was no option for it.  The only other way to do this is for
> me to open up the laptop and remove the drive completely.

I don't see any problem with removing the drive, just remove the HD from the
boot sequence in the BIOS (or at least make it the last boot device) too, and
make PXE first in the boot order.

I am curious; what make/model laptop is this?

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |