Thanx, for all of your suggestions. Unfortunately as far as i can
tell, there is no way to turn off the HDD in the bios.  And according
to the log messages on the LTSP client, it continues to try to access
the HDD even after booting.  So i guess my best option is to remove
the HDD.  I wanted to avoid this since this HDD in this laptop is very
hard to remove.  I pretty much have to remove the whole bottom panel
to even get to the HDD.

Tomoki Taniguchi