On Tuesday 27 February 2007 13:39, Noel wrote:
> Tadeu F. Oliveira wrote:
> > Hi, Everybody
> > does anyone have tried LTSP with some kind of load balance?
> > Is there any try to use LTSP with OpenMosix or something such?
>
> Yes, we've tried LTSP with home-made load balancing.
>
> We set up two identical LTSP servers, _BOTH_ of them (that's the trick)
> with DHCP server. The only difference between them (besides IP, of
> course) is that each DHCP server pointed to himself as TFTP server, NFS
> server and such.
>
> This way, the most loaded server is slower to answer the DHCP petition
> of a booting client, thus the less loaded server answers DHCP first and
> "gets the client".
>
> The results we've obtained at Ejercicios Resueltos are that there were
> never more than a 20% difference in number of clients being served by
> each LTSP twinserver.

We do exactly the same thing.  We have six servers, four Xeon 3GHz boxes and
two Athlon 2GHz and as you would expect the Xeons pick up far more work.  I'm
amazed that the Athlons (remains from our original servers) manage to get a
look in.  Originally we had 6 of the Athlons and they supported 90 clients
without too many problems; the Xeons have no probs at all. We've been running
this method of load balancing for 3 years and I don't expect us to look to a
more sophisticated solution.  I should probably retire the Athlons but they
are like an old jumper so I'm reluctant to switch them off.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation