On 02/03/07, Helmut Lichtenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 08:28:25AM -0600, Peter Scheie wrote:
> > Martin Woolley wrote:
> > [...]
>
> We have some basic clustering with the following setup:
>
> All thin clients boot from one DHCP/tftp server and get their image from
> there.
>
> In their image, they run a startx script from /etc/init.d, where they get a
> list of available XDMCP servers in our LAN, which are currently 3 Xeon-SMP
> machines.  These work as application servers for the thin clients.
>
> The script loops through this list with xdmping and gets these parameters from
> each machine:
>
>    # xdmping ots-6 -v -t 1
>       contacting 10.1.0.26...
>       ots-6: 13 users, load: 0.49, 0.69, 0.50
>
> With some grep, awk, and sort magic the machine with the least load is chosen.
> The XWindow system of the client is then started with (e.g.):
>
>    /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query ots-6
>
> This works fine for us and it must be easy to integrate it into standard LTSP.
>
> We currently run a non-LTSP solution from a german company Gonicus, where the
> above mentioned script originates from. But we are just in the process of
> coming back home into LTSP realm with some additional fiddeling to provide our
> centralized information about thin clients and application servers from LDAP
> for LTSP, maybe by dynamically creating ltsp.conf files. But this is another
> topic.
>
> > Martin-
> > Just curious: how are you handling user authentication and sharing the
> > /home directory
> > among your servers, such that it doesn't matter which server a user is
> > connected to?
>
> We have all /home dirs on a centralized file server (which is the
> DHCP/tftp server), connected to the application servers via Gigabit ethernet.
> Authentication is done with LDAP/Kerberos.

We have very much the same set up, except X is started on the clients
with a one line change to the ltsp setup (well its very nearly a one
line change)

In etc/screen.d/startx on the thin client image. The line

XF_ARGS="-query ${XDM_SERVER}"

now reads

if [ "${XDM_SERVER}" = "BROADCAST" ]; then
        XF_ARGS="-broadcast"
else
        XF_ARGS="-query ${XDM_SERVER}"
fi

As far as security we use pam_pgsql but really any pam/nss module will
do if it can handle a network based user database. This is mostly due
to my personal hatred of LDAP.

Peter.