On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:45:33PM +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> On 02/03/07, Helmut Lichtenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >We have some basic clustering with the following setup:
> >All thin clients boot from one DHCP/tftp server and get their image from
> >there.
> >In their image, they run a startx script from /etc/init.d, where they get a
> >list of available XDMCP servers in our LAN, which are currently 3 Xeon-SMP
> >machines.  These work as application servers for the thin clients.
> >The script loops through this list with xdmping and gets these parameters
> >from
> >each machine:
> >
> >   # xdmping ots-6 -v -t 1
> >      contacting 10.1.0.26...
> >      ots-6: 13 users, load: 0.49, 0.69, 0.50
> >
> >With some grep, awk, and sort magic the machine with the least load is
> >chosen.
> >The XWindow system of the client is then started with (e.g.):
> [SNIP]
>
> Sorry but can you run through this again? How is better in comparison
> with three peer dhcp servers running on same sub-net and answering
> calls from clients and running same NFS server for /home exports???

There are many ways to do it. It's not better but different.
I personally would not like to make every application server (where the ltsp
users work on) also a dhcp-server. One is enough.
If we want to add more application servers we just replicate them and put them
on the list of the available XDMCP servers.

> ...the one that answers quicker gets the client resulting in auto load
> balancing? I must admit I have not tried with three but with two
> servers this ran beautifully and virtually no magic script needed.

If your setup works for you just use and enjoy it.

> I was under impression that OP wanted clustering of thin clients to
> increase pool of computing power but maybe I am wrong here.

I also wanted to give an example how this could be done. Additionally this
could be easily integrated into standard ltsp.

Helmut

Helmut Lichtenberg  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Tel. +49 (0)5034/871-128
Institut für Tierzucht               31535 Neustadt               Germany