I can tell you that we use that mode on HP and Dell machines
and all of them (3 models total) now show up with 1280x1024.

I did forget to say we use LTSP 5 for the HPs and LTSP 3.0.2
for the Dells.

It could be a clock frequency problem within the chipset/config

What I would say is try booting into a terminal and run X
manually. Look at the logs and see what it complains about
and then tweak manually. I remember messing with things manually
at one point in time.

Alberto