On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:51:27 +0100, Ondrej Valousek wrote
> Ok,
> to be more exact:
> My client has 512Mb RAM + 1Gb swap. I launch firefox and this page:
> http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/bms/teacherwebs/sdavenport/artgallery6.htm
> makes the machine crash completely.
> Try to replicate.
> Ondrej

It isn't that NBD swap isn't working, it is that the site you reference above
really
sucks.  Unfortunately our Junior High art class was searching for art examples
on the
net the first week I deployed our thin client labs.  They ran into sites like
this
non-stop and kept freezing all our clients.  I used that site as an example for
really
demonstrating the pixmap problem.  If you play with xrestop on the client you
can see
that it climbs much higher with the NBD Swap than without.  But that site takes
about
1.5GB to actually fully load, hence the reason for using it as a demonstration.
increased my clients to 512MB RAM and increased the NBD Swap from the default
32MB to
512MB, this gets us by on most sites.  The X_RAMPERC hack kills the browser
before
filling the 1GB available, so sites like the one above still result in a
crashed browser
for me.  The RAM usage climbs so fast that monitoring with xrestop will show
the client
freezing before all local RAM and NBD Swap is used, but this is only because
xrestop
doesn't refresh fast enough.  If you log into Screen1 on your clients and run
"free"
before loading that site you should see all your RAM and Swap, then switch to
Screen7
and load the referenced website, then quickly switch back to screen1 and keep
running
"free" over and over again.  You should start to see your NBD Swap getting used
before a
hang.

Again, non-gecko based browsers will handle sites like the one above without a
problem.
 I wish I could get the Firefox guys to talk to the Opera guys and learn why
this is.
Hmm, maybe I should join an Opera list and point out their superiority, maybe
they could
shed some light on why this is.

Hope that helps,
Jim