On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:23:12 -0500, Francis Giraldeau wrote
> Hi,
>
> We are aware of this problem for years now. It does affect Firefox, but
> other major applications like OpenOffice.

You are absolutely correct Francis, I see similar problems with OpenOffice,
just not
near as often.

> So, Firefox 3 may fix the problem? I'm open to redo my experiments with
> it to see if it does. We should look to OpenOffice also, and probably
> other applications as well I'm not aware of yet.

>From what I understand the default Firefox3 will be much improved and more
>stable in
this regard, but still not an end all solution by default.  But they are at
least
including user configurable options now in about:config that will make it easy
customize for a perfect fit into LTSP.

However Xorg is still the biggest problem in that they allow this too happen.
They say
that the problem really lies in the OS and that it is too hard to have Xorg
figure out
how to set priorities on RAM usage.  I think what needs to happen is a larger
company
(such as Ubuntu or Redhat) needs to get some major Xorg developers to attend
their next
developers summit.  I would think if there was a group of programmers sitting
together
with a few savvy Xorg developers it could be pointed out why this is a problem
and
hopefully a fix could be put into place.  But I think awareness needs to be
broadened,
then this can get a higher priority.

Unfortunately as Jim McQuillan and Scott Balnaeves have said, this largely only
affects
those running thin clients, so the voice needing to be heard is smaller than
the desktop
guys.  But there is enough of a user base for thin clients I would think the
right
people could get this taken care of, I just don't know who they are :-)

Jim