We have such a setup. Like you say, I put an applications server at
each location.  Each user has a preconfigured 'default' location, and
their /home/$USER is stored on the local applications server. Then, at
each remote location, they have their home directory set to
/remote/$USER, which is an autofs NFS mount back to their 'default'
location.

  It works pretty well, considering we're loading /home/$USER over
just a T1 -- I turned off Firefox's disk caching to prevent ~/.mozilla
getting too large and caching over the WAN. It takes awhile to log in
(maybe 20-30 seconds) but once you're up and running it's very fast.

  Let me know if you need specifics or more information. I'm sure
John's suggestion would work equally well, if not better; FreeNX is a
good product.

Cheers,
  -Michael