I just tested a few PII's at home.  None gave a satisfactory experience, but
they did boot.  My main problem was video-card related.
On some cards, X would fail to load.  On the other cards, I was given a
terrible screen resolution (800x600 or less on my 18" lcd).

One of the PII's had Xubuntu 6.10 installed on the hard drive.  It booted fine
and produced a decent screen resolution.  That same
machine with that same video card would fail to load X on LTSP 5 (Debian
Lenny).  This machine had 192MB RAM.

I didn't fully test how much RAM was required to boot LTSP.  I know that one
machine was only recognizing 16MB and that resulted in a
kernel panic.  I did boot one machine with 32 MB RAM, but I never managed to
get X (even after trying with more RAM).  The rest of my
tests used 64MB or more, only because that's what was in them to begin with.

-Rob