Well that got me passed that error, however I am unable to login.

Don't know if this bit will help,
If I attempt to login with a known username + password it restarts the
LDM.
If i attempt a login with a made up username/password I get "No Response
from server" then it restarts.

I am still puzzled why I am having so much trouble with LTSP this time
around, is there something I should have done to install ltsp on server
edition as opposed to desktop edition of Ubuntu (which is what my test
was running on)

Thanks,

Carl