Stefan Below kirjoitti:
> Oliver Grawert schrieb:

>> comparing the speed of NX with its insecure and outdated snapshot of the
>> old included xlibs with recent implementations of xcb is somewhat like
>> comparing netscape 2 with firefox 3.5 :)

> I have the same speed issues.  Scrolling in OO and firefox is choppy or
> when moving windows around the content goes blank.... And with NX it is
> much better

> And i think the most important think is "user experience". What should i
> tell the users? to say you cannot compare an old library/system with the
> new one? .... thats silly .... than the new library is not as good as
> the old one or its programmed for a different purpose.... (and the your
> comparison with netscape2 and firefox 3.5 does not fit here)
> I really like the LTSP and Linux, but sometimes it makes me sad to see
> that the development goes in the wrong direction. (New fancy feature
> here and there... and so one. But its nearly impossible to set up an
> Linux Desktop environment thats really responsive....)

> ciao
> Stefan

I agree on the basic idea here: what good is a sound philosophy when the
real life experience is a pain? For anything released as stable,
official release the actual real life user experience should always have
top priority.

However as the issue has been solved - except for the fact that the
stuff that fixes this problem should be (and should have been asap) in
official update repositories - there is not much point debating this
subject further at the moment.

Ok, back to the issue at hand:

If you run Ubuntu 9.04 here is what will get this fixed:

a) add to your sources.list these lines:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stgraber/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/stgraber/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

b) Run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

c) Log out of X and back in on the terminal(s).

You should now have a much more responsive, faster desktop experience.

--
Anton