It also helps to keep in mind that ltsp is merely a framework to network
boot a computer.  You don't HAVE to use ldm (X-over-ssh), it is merely
the default session type.  If you prefer, install nxclient in the
chroot, and create a screen script to run it, and set SCREEN_07 = nx

Use LTSP AND make your users happy.

We like to enable happiness around here.  For added pleasure, when its
all set up, sit back and find the "Happy Packet Dance" on youtube, where
Fabian from FreeNX demonstrates how the technology works with dramatic
poise!

Cheers,

-Gadi

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 08:55 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> I think NX is a great piece of technology that helps in many cases, but
> it's not the magic bullet for all cases.
>
> NX runs an Xserver on the server for every user.  It's kind of like a
> proxy for X11.  Applications communicate with this in-memory Xserver.
> The instructions for drawing then get relayed out to the the clients
> where they get intercepted by the NX client and get written to the
> client screen.  This does add a noticeable load to the server.  If you
> are only running 5 or 10 clients, you probably won't notice it.
>
> I've got an office running with 60 thin clients using LTSP.  Running
> those 60 clients through NX would definitely be noticeable.
>
> One of the objectives of LTSP is to be able to serve hundreds of thin
> clients from a single server.  I don't think NX would fit very well in
> that scenario.
>
> As for the age of the X parts in NX, it would be great if someone would
> volunteer to work on upgrading that to the latest version of Xorg.  It
> would probably be an interesting project but i think it requires a
> different set of skills from what the rest of LTSP requires.  Certainly
> some of our developers could probably handle it, but I don't think it's
> the best use of their time.
>

> As for Oliver's comments, I agree with everything he said except the
> part about "ltsp developers had to drop the ball"
>
> We knew full well that the security issues needed to be dealt with and
> that's why, back in January of 2005 we sat down and wrote a white paper
> outlining what it was going to take to get us beyond that issue.
>
> Certainly Ollie remembers this document:
>
>     http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/MueKow
>
> The document is almost 5 years old, but if you read it now, and compare
> it with the current state of LTSP-5, you'll see that what we outlined
> back then is a pretty good description of how LTSP-5 works now.
>
> I'm thinking Ollie's gonna owe me a beer at the upcoming BTS to make up
> for that comment :)
>
> Jim McQuillan
> j...@ltsp.org
>

> Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> >> And i think the most important think is "user experience". What should i
> >> tell the users?
> > tell them you install the known fix immediately and be done ?
> >
> >> to say you cannot compare an old library/system with the
> >> new one? .... thats silly .... than the new library is not as good as
> >> the old one or its programmed for a different purpose.... (and the your
> >> comparison with netscape2 and firefox 3.5 does not fit here)
> > the new lib is written to support the old features as well as future
> > ones, ltsp is just a user of xorg, we dont write it, if xorg developers
> > make a decision to change something, please dont blame ltsp developers
> > for that (or call them silly) without the hard work sbalneav, stgraber
> > and others did put in to find a fix for the breakage thats only seen in
> [...]
Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
l...@symbio-technologies.com

Pay It Forward!
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM + Symbiont Boot Stick = $275
10% of order goes to school or open source project of your choice!

Buy yourself a lab or office and use your donation to set up a school,
pay for a desperately needed feature added to a software package,
or sponsor part of LTSP's annual developer's conference LTSP-by-the-sea!

Check out:  http://www.symbio-technologies.com/payitforward