David,

FreeNX would be a great solution for your ltsp remote access issues. It
will give the user access to all of the local services as well. It is
secure and very easy to set up. You may have to go to a little trouble
on the client end to enable local printing for the user who is
telecommuting. I have not had any issues with that though.

As far as your second hurdle is concerned Wine is a good option for some
programs. If this is a program that only a few people use and not many
use at the same time you could always run one windows machine and set up
vnc for it internally. I have a program here at the office that most
everyone uses but maybe only once -twice a week and that is how I get
around that problem, it does not work with wine.

There are others that can fill in more on this than me as well but ltsp
also connects to windows, but that is all I really know on that front.

Grant