I get around a similar problem (a legacy Windows programs needed) by
running Windows in a VirtualBox OSE virtual machine.  There were a few
tricks I needed to do to make the virtual machine available to everyone
(and it still only allows one user at a time, of course).  If you choose
this solution, I would be happy to explain how I set it up.

Scott

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 08:16 -0600, grant wrote:
> David,
>
> FreeNX would be a great solution for your ltsp remote access issues. It
> will give the user access to all of the local services as well. It is
> secure and very easy to set up. You may have to go to a little trouble
> on the client end to enable local printing for the user who is
> telecommuting. I have not had any issues with that though.
>
> As far as your second hurdle is concerned Wine is a good option for some
> programs. If this is a program that only a few people use and not many
> use at the same time you could always run one windows machine and set up
> vnc for it internally. I have a program here at the office that most
> everyone uses but maybe only once -twice a week and that is how I get
> around that problem, it does not work with wine.
>
> There are others that can fill in more on this than me as well but ltsp
> also connects to windows, but that is all I really know on that front.
>
> Grant
>
> David Berg wrote:
> > My church is planning to install a thin client solution and I would
> > like to pitch LTSP as a solution but I see two sticking points.
> >
> > 1.  We would like to enable staff to access their desktops from home
> > over an Internet connection.  I expect this is possible, but don't see
> > any documentation indicating how to set it up.
> >
> > 2.  There is at least one software package that needs to be run that
> > isn't a typical office program.  I still need to find out more about
> > it, but if it turns out there is only the windows version, what are my
> > options for running it?  Wine, a Windows Terminal Server dedicated to
> > this software package, others?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > --Dave

> > For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

P. Scott DeVos
Member
4A Homes LLC