I haven't checked any logs recently.  But, if there were memory
issues, I would expect there to be problems elsewhere.  I use one of
these clients pretty heavily all day, and there are two other users
with clients on the server.  This is the only program we've
encountered yet on this setup, other than Unity3D, that behaves in any
similar way.  In both cases, it happens reliably and immediately.  I'm
pretty sure it's about the video drivers interacting with the new
hardware.

Also, if we run VMD as a localapp on the clients, it runs just fine.
So, it definitely isn't an issue that's only on the client side.  I
don't think I can easily do that test for Unity3D.  But, I think
that's what runs when I log in to the server.

In VMD's case, it might be related somehow to VMD's use of CUDA.  VMD
also runs pretty slowly on our amd machines in general, regardless of
OS or client/server/lone-machine status.  So, my guess is that
whatever it's doing happens at a pretty fundamental level, and there's
some issue in the translation between server and client.  (The
machines I'm mostly talking about here are intel, but we have others.)

I've been testing new HP equipment with LTSP for a while.  The setup
we finally bought has arguably the strangest behavior.  I had to use
Ubuntu 11.10 just to get it to do anything (details upon request), and
then I had to do a lot to get display.  In this case, it seemed to be
the combination of monitor and card.  At first, I could get display
from default LTSP configurations if I hooked the new monitor up to an
older Nvidia card in an older machine -or- if I hooked an older
monitor up to the new Nvidia card/machine (but only if I used a VGA
input).  But, I couldn't get display to work at all if I hooked the
new monitor up to the new card/machine.  Skipping some details, I
finally installed nvidia-current on server and into the chroot.  Then,
I got a rudimentary nvidia xorg.conf using a non-X screen.  Then, once
I got an image at all, I tweaked it with help from nvidia-settings.

Here is a list of other video weirdnesses that happened when we
upgraded a different server/client set from Natty to Lucid:
http://osdir.com/ml/LTSP-cluster-thin-clients/2011-09/msg00000.html
Some of those are the HP tests I mentioned above.

Lachele Foley
CCRC/UGA
Athens, GA USA