On 01/03/2012 11:29 AM, Lachele Foley (Lists) wrote:
> I'm really confused about why changing X_RAMPERC fixed one problem,
> and if so, why it didn't fix another.

I don't really know what is happening in your case but I can give you a
datapoint:

I run dozens of Atom based thin clients using various Intel GMA graphics
chipsets and 1 GB RAM and only rarely have clients freezing or logging
out and even that appears to be unrelated to memory since, in general,
most of the RAM on the clients is free.  Here is an example:

top - 09:41:29 up 6 days, 10:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.07
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  1.5%us,  0.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 97.9%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,
0.0%st
Mem:   1020524k total,   905952k used,   114572k free,        0k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   830204k cached

Note that 830204k is cache (which means it is free for processes to use)
and another 114572k is entirely free.  All told only about 7% of the
RAM, or about 76M, is being used by processes.

This is on K12Linux running LTSP5 with no localapps running so YYMV but
unless you are running a lot of local applications I can't imagine you
are running into memory exhaustion.

I would try putting memtest on a USB stick and letting it run for a day
or two (on the clients) to make sure you don't have any memory
corruption issues.  After that start looking at driver and network
connectivity issues.

Good luck!

Jeff