So when the bad clients fail, they are inaccessible via Ctrl-Alt-Fn and ssh. But if you set up rsyslog this will forward to the server any syslog entries the clients generate before they freeze. Might give you some clue.

On standalone PC's, I have seen bad optical or floppy drives cause an otherwise good machine to fail at boot. If these clients have any optional components like that which can be removed, that idea could also be tested.

Since this is also a rather big issue, I would consider setting up a different test LTSP server in a different version and/or distro. If it fails similarly there then you have further confirmation that it's a failing-hardware issue with the clients.