We've one server (Ubuntu 12.04) and 20 fujitsu thin clients (same model).

The system works fine with  the most of clients, but some clients (3 of 20)
show a black screen trying to load login window and the system is
completely inaccesible. The client load the linux image and it shows ubuntu
bootsplash (I suppose because there is a problem with max sessions with the
xserver).

Unfortunately when the black screen appears we cannot access to the system
neither typing alt+f2 nor via ssh (the thin client only answer to ping).

We've another clone of this enviroment deployed in other place (20 fujitsu
clients) and the same thing happen.

It's not a hardware issue because we've experienced the same client which
shows the black screen after a while it starts successfully and other
clients which starts succesfully can't start, Futhermore the thin clients
can't start booting from their disk.

We've tried to debug setting LDM_DEBUG to True but we can't acces the
system so we cannot know what is happening.

Also we've replaced lightdm by gdm because some people has reported problem
with max sessions and we've set /etc/gdm/custom.conf to:

[daemon]
RemoteGreeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

[xdmcp]
Enable=true
MaxSessions=30
DisplaysPerHost=100

...but nothing change.

When a client cannot start we've to wait a while, we've tried rebooting the
server and change the assigned ip to the thin client in order to try to
remove all session...but nothing change. Are the sessions persistents to ip
changes and reboots?

Thanks, Alberto